The first official document, dated 898, is the deed of purchase by Everardo, Bishop of Piacenza, who turned it into a place of retreat and refuge against possible Hungarian invasions.
In 1257, Ubertino (Albertino) Landi purchased the Taro and Ceno Valleys from the Commune of Piacenza and took possession of the structure.
From this moment on, the family, originally from Bobbio (Piacenza), transformed the ancient fortress into a luxurious princely residence over a period of four centuries.Thanks to shrewd diplomacy and a careful policy of marriages, the Landi obtained autonomy from the municipal jurisdiction of Piacenza: the seigniory of Milan represented by the Visconti and Sforza families granted them wide-ranging autonomy of government.Moreover, following the Ghibelline position of the dynasty, in 1551 Emperor Charles V appointed Agostino Landi Prince of Borgotaro, Marquis of Bardi, Count and Baron of Compiano, at the head of what was to become known in history as the 'Landi State or Principality'.With the same decree, he conferred on the Piacenza family the important privilege of minting coins, with its own mint, a practice that was to be continued by Federico.The absence of male heirs led Maria Polissena to be the last descendant of the family.Following her marriage to Gian Andrea Doria, the castle was sold in 1862 by her son to Ranuccio II Farnese.The Duke of Parma and Piacenza overturned the Landi insignia and replaced it with his own coat of arms, but neither he nor his successors made any substantial changes to the castle structure.
From this moment on, what had been a prosperous mountain state became increasingly peripheral; the Farnese family
died out in 1731, Bardi and its castle followed the fate of the Duchy, passing to the Barbones, to the French, then back to the Bourbons, until it was annexed to Piedmont.With the unification of Italy, the fortress became a military prison until, in 1868, it was ceded to the municipal administration, which transformed it into a public office building until the 1980s. In recent decades, a series of interventions aimed at restoring, preserving and enhancing the asset have brought it back to its former splendour, fortunately opening it to the public.