Built in 1461 by the will of Stefano Sanvitale, the Rocca underwent numerous transformations over the centuries that changed its architectural and decorative structure. In 1612 the Farnese confiscated the assets of the Sanvitale family, thus becoming lords of the Rocca. During the eighteenth century the structure was transformed, the potager garden was built, some rooms were frescoed in eighteenth-century style and turned into a hunting reserve, which motivated Maria Amalia from Habsburg, wife of Ferdinando di Borbone, to settle in the Rocca . In the ancient building it is possible to visit the fifteenth-century area, with frescoes by Cesare Baglione, by Ercole Procaccini. The Cappella Palatina has recently been restored. The Church devote to Assumption still preserves the original furnishings and a plaque commissioned by Michele Varron and dedicated to Napoléon Bonaparte. The majestic Farnesian Garden has returned to its former glory and is now a public park with free access.