As early as the 11th-12th centuries, the Castle of Coriano was one of the most important of the numerous fortifications in an area of the Rimini area with precarious security conditions and dense population. In 1209 Coriano passed from the Carpegna family to the Church of Ravenna and the structure was already particularly ancient. In 1356 the Castrum Coriliani was ceded by the then owner, the Curia of Ravenna, to the Malatesta family, lords of Rimini.
The first town walls were built during the 14th century, together with additional defensive architectural elements, but gradually public buildings also appeared: in 1421 a town hall was built, later equipped with a captain, notary and public assemblies.
The construction of the current Rocca dates back to the mid-15th century. The Rocca was not conceived as a residence, but as a military structure, where condottieri such as Giovanni da Tolentino (1442), Bartolomeo Colleoni (1444) and Braccio da Montone (1446) stayed.
Federico di Montefeltro occupied the fortification in 1461, but already in 1463 Sigismondo Malatesta was able to regain possession of it.
From 1469, Roberto Malatesta and his son Pandolfo IV renovated the structure. Roberto, in particular, enlarged the perimeter of the walls and provided them with new bastions.
Between 1504 and 1509 the castle was owned by the Venetians and the Provveditore Malipiero in his report on the state of Rimini in 1504 describes it as: a castle 8 miles
away from Arimino, surrounded by a wall with a scarp 7 passes high, el corredore alto piè volgi passa 194. In the said castle dwells 3 families. It has a door.
In 1512 the surrounding countryside was sacked by Spanish troops, who also burnt the castle gate. In 1528, Pope Clement VIII granted the castle to the Sassatelli family of Imola, who retained control of it until 1579-80, after which it returned to the Apostolic Chamber, then, from 1605, to the Municipality of Rimini. The
today appears to have survived several unfavourable contingencies in its long history: an earthquake in 1672, a fire in 1882 and the breakthrough of the Gothic Line in September 1944, which left only 2% of Coriano's private building stock unscathed.
In 1999-2000, the castle underwent major restoration and renovation work under the patronage of the Superintendency of Fine Arts.
The stone coat-of-arms of the Sassatelli family, who lived in the castle between 1528 and 1580, is set above the castle entrance gate and is still the coat-of-arms of the Municipality of Coriano: "Three silver mountains on a blue field: the taller one in the middle is topped with a silver heart; the two side ones are topped with a gold lily; all within a three-flower crown with two points". as it currently appears on the municipal gonfalon.
Council records show that the castle square was used as a playground or meeting place.
Tiles' (a kind of bowls game) were
played, a very popular entertainment if the Council felt the need to prohibit it, given the damage caused to the castle walls and houses.
The 'trebbi' were organised. , evening entertainments with dancing and verse
recitations that lasted until late at night, where, taking advantage of the general distraction, there were those who indulged in theft, and it was for this reason that the Council also banned this practice.
Also widespread was the game of Ball or Pallone, which took place in the moats and cliffs around the castle . The game was banned when the moats were allowed to make gardens and reed beds. But, in spite of the prohibition, the game continued to be played, so much so that damage to these crops by players is recorded in council acts even in the following century.