In the heart of the Bidente Valley, in the middle of the Romagna region of Forlì, stands the Castle of Teodorano, which over the centuries has played a defensive role. The
fortress, recently renovated, dates back to medieval times: sources, in fact, attest that it was built between 1030 and 1069, a time when the castle represented the residence of the feudal lord, the centre of economic activities and the base from which to control and beat the surrounding countryside. That was the time of knights, court life, tournaments and courtly love.
The history of the Castle of Theodorano, linked to the path that led to the birth of the Municipality of Theodorano in 1238, was animated by famous figures such as, in particular, Cesare Borgia, the Valentino, son of Pope Alexander VI. Indeed,
documentary sources prove that towards the end of December 1502, when the fortress was in the hands of Caterina Sforza, Valentino took possession of the fortress and invited the inhabitants of Forlì to 'sack Tudurano Castello'.
It was a harsh winter, with heavy rains and frequent snowfalls: Borgia's troops, besieging the castle walls and threatening battle, had forced the castle inhabitants to defend themselves. Having reinforced the sentries, loaded the crossbows, the prelude to the clash was prepared: thus it was that the troops of Valentino, armed with spears and halberds, besieged the Castle.
The whole village gave in to the agitation, ready to intervene, with the support of buckets full of boiling water and incendiary arrows: however, the Theodorans' attempts to defend themselves were in vain, and ruthless violence and cruel harassment were perpetrated against them.