San Pietro in Cerro
A few kilometers from the Fiorenzuola d’Arda motorway exit on the road leading to Cremona.
The castle of San Pietro in Cerro, an ancient residence that belonged to the Barattieri counts, is certainly the main attraction.
In spring when exhibitions and events are organized inside the castle.
Once used as stables in San Pietro in Cerro castle, they are now a refined relais de charme surrounded by the beautiful park of the fortress.
As documented by a stone epigraph that overlooks the Cortile dei Cavalieri, the Castle was built in 1460 by Bartolomeo Barattieri, a noble jurist and ambassador of Piacenza at the court of Pope Julius II della Rovere. The Barattieri family kept the property until 1993, thus allowing an excellent conservation of the original structure which today presents itself as a faithful and precious testimony of a fifteenth-century noble residence. Arranged on a rectangular layout from which the entrance keep and two round towers emerge to defend the north side, the Castle appears austere and compact from the outside, while inside there is an elegant square courtyard with a double order of arches.
The typical dishes of the lowlands based on river fish.
Nearby there is Cortemaggiore and a few kilometers away are Verdi's lands.